"I've got this thing..."

I’m a dreamer – yes I am, a died-in-the-wool dreamer who dreams that liberty and justice and the American way mingle together in peaceful co-existence. But lately, as you can imagine, my dreams leave me with the strange, nightmare sensations of anxiety, panic and fear.

I wake up these days realizing that what we're witnessing today is a total failure of leadership. We live in a society where we simply cannot trust bankers, mortgage brokers, priests, presidents, vice-presidents, the CIA, Treasury secretaries and governors.

At least not the governors of Illinois. Especially not the current governor.

Just last month – in fact, it was just the day after the celebratory send-off party in Grant Park for Barack Obama as he said good-bye to his senate seat and hello to the presidency – Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich was recorded as saying, “I’ve got this thing and it’s f***ing golden, and uh, uh, I’m just not giving it up for f***in’ nothing. I’m not gonna do it. And, and I can always use it. I can parachute me there.”

We all know by now that he was, of course, referring to the senate seat left vacant by our president-elect, the seat that Blagojevich wanted to sell to the highest bidder – or use to parachute into the senate himself.

But I still dream and yearn for the day that our politicians realize that all of them possess that “thing and it’s f***ing golden” and it’s a thing that they should really never want to give up – ever.

It’s called the public trust.

And when politicians and business leaders trash this trust, as we’ve seen in 2008, something golden is lost forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All Together Now! (A look at new millennial globalization at work...)

The Mysterious Madness of Medical Billing...

DUH!!!